Talk the Big Talk, a precursor to Big Writing, puts emphasis on the importance of talk, particularly in the early years, to enhance the writing process.
Using the core Big Writing principles of Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers and Punctuation, (VCOP) early years practitioners can use the power of talk within their writing sessions. Ros Wilson (founder of Big Writing) believes that:
‘If a child can’t say it, a child can’t write it.’
Up-levelling- the skill of improving sentences through the use of ambitious vocabulary, varied connectives, powerful openers and punctuation. Allowing learners to develop the concept of VCOP orally, will in turn influence their ability to transfer their skills into their writing. Click on the links below for ideas of how to use VCOP in the classroom.
sentenceplay.co.uk – CLICK HERE!
VCOP Ideas Bank- CLICK HERE!
VCOP – Year 1 ideas- CLICK HERE!
In addition to this, ‘Talk Homework’ is at the core of Big Writing/Big Talk sessions. Some ideas for Talk Homework can be found below:
Talk Homework Ideas- CLICK HERE!
If you use ‘Talk the Big Talk’ in your classroom, and have any learning and teaching ideas, we’d love to hear from you.
‘Big Writing’ is a strategy used to teach writing; developed in England by Ros Wilson, its core principle is to improve the writing standards of our learners.
The purpose NOT to teach the features of fiction and non-fiction text, but to develop the confidence of our learners in using ambitious vocabulary, varied connectives, powerful openers and sophisticated punctuation to produce effective pieces of writing.
Whilst using Big Writing I have found that:
- Learners thoroughly enjoy VCOP games and activities (Vocabulary/Connectives/Openers/Punctuation)
- The interactive software, which can be purchased through Andrell Education, supports practitioners when planning lessons
- The ‘Scottish Criterion Scale’, used to assess pieces of writing, gives you a shared standard in which learners can work towards
- Moderation with colleagues is KEY to ensure that we are assessing pieces accurately and with confidence, due to some subjective criteria in the scale
- A wealth of resources are available to support Big Writing, however they are not housed in one particular place
Visit the Andrell Education website below to find out more:
Are you using Big Writing? If so, we’d love to hear your experiences of using the strategy.